Sunday, September 21, 2008

I stay in my bed aaaaanight



For the past few months, Ella has been finding a way to creep into our room in the middle of the night. We would wake up in the morning and literally trip on her. As if tripping over her wasn't enough, she started to wake us up to let us know she was in our room (usually around 3 AM). It was getting rather ridiculous and led to a tired mom (plus a tired dad, which is a tough combination for a happy home).

We decided to try the sticker chart approach. We set the goal for 5 nights; she had to stay in her own room and sleep the whole night for five nights (no waking up at 3 am thinking that she "slept through the night").

Every morning we would discuss the previous night and decide if it was a good night or a not so good night. When she had a not so good night, Ella knew it. She would get a look of disgust. She would not cry or scream, but was really disappointed. Although I hated seeing her so disappointed in herself, it was nice to see her really comprehend the sticker system.

I am not sure how long it actually took her to complete the five nights successfully but at least two weeks. Well, today was finally Day 5--SHE DID IT! Ella came into our room at 7:15 and looked me right in the face saying "Mom, I slept in my room aaanight." She was so incredibly happy; we were happy it was not 5 AM.

As if a happy mom and dad wasn't motivation enough, her true motivation for staying in her bed was a new stomp rocket toy! Yeah Ella! We are so proud of you!




2 comments:

IUgirl78 said...

Hooray for Ella!!!! I'm glad the sticker chart worked for her! I hope she continues to stay in her bed now that she knows she can do it. :)

Pigtail Mama said...

Yay, Ella! That is so great! Unfortunately I can't figure out how to get the sound to work on this laptop, so I will have to watch the video when I get home. But it was cute, even without sound! I'm glad that the sticker chart worked for you. I think that is such a great method, and how fun to get a stomp rocket!!!