Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Gymnastics



I decided a few weeks ago that the girls would benefit from being in gymnastics. They have taken ballet and although Ella enjoyed it, it was a bust for Laney. Both have really wanted to do gymnastics, and I was excited to get them enrolled.

We have typically gone to A + gymnastics and had been fairly happy with their classes. Well, they didn't have a time slot that worked for both girls at the same time so I checked with Devous where a few of our friends go. They had a 4-5 year old class that worked for us. I was a little worried that every body would be 4 and Ella would get bored but there are only 4 people in the class (Ella, Laney and sisters who are actually 6). It has been great! On the day I brought my camera the other two girls weren't there so Ella & Laney had their own class.

Their progress in 3 short weeks really has been fun to see. Ella has a cartwheel almost down and Laney has been walking on the beam like a rockstar. I am so proud of how well Laney is listening and how much Ella helps Laney when Laney doesn't know what to do next. It has been really good for both of them.

A fun story about Devous: the first week I asked a mom how she liked it. She said she liked it but the only negative she had heard was if the instructors see that your child has talent, they want you to come three times a week to help mold that talent. I started laughing--the girls have fun but I don't see any talent that needs to be molded three times a week :)

In the pictures and the videos you can see how the girls differ in their attitude towards gymnastics. Laney thought everything was funny or required drama and Ella really wanted to do her absolute best on everything. She has worked on cartwheels for 2 weeks and in this video you can see how she almost has it down!





Laney working on her squats with the french fry.
Ella doing a handstand.





Ooops...she started cracking up at herself.



Weeeeee



Miss Shannon examining Laney's injury.
Laney had fallen off the slide



Practicing running straight into the foam pit



Lightning fast speed



Cartwheel time
Ella has really improved!







I love this pic
Ella and Miss Shannon waiting for Laney to come out of the foam pit
Laney loves the foam pit and just stays in, throwing around the foam
Even Miss Shannon laughs at Laney's excitement



Laney negotiating with Miss Shannon about whether or not she can jump from the vault.





2 comments:

IUgirl78 said...

How fun! I didn't know the girls were doing gynnastics at Deveau's. I've had many students who have taken classes there over the years. I love the comment about molding the talent...so funny!

Cute pictures and videos!

Pigtail Mama said...

Love it! It looks like a very well-run program. I love the comment from the other mom! :) Glad you found something both girls can enjoy!