Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Working our way to 7 AM

For the past few months, the girls have started to creep into our room earlier and earlier. There were times when Ella was up at 5:30 or 6:00 and although she wouldn't wake us up, she would be on our floor when we would wake up (many a times I tripped on her when I would get out of bed). Other times, they would be at the side of our bed wanting us to get up at 6:00am. No way girls! Matthew gets up like clock work at 6:30am so although I understand them getting up when they hear him, I still wanted them to stay in bed until 7 am (plus Laney really needs to sleep in longer to get her needed sleep).

Well, what should we do? Oh yes, the sticker chart!



No it's not a pretty chart, but it gets the job done. At the end of the first week completed, they got to the "star column". I had no idea what I wanted the little incentive to be but Ella had a few ideas of her own 1) a sleepover with a friend (at the friend's house...I thought that was a win for me!) 2) ice cream 3) play-a- lot (aka dirty lot). We then thought a mom/daughter pool outing would be fun but alas, there were storm clouds. Laney said she wanted to ride a merry go round and although I immediately thought of the one at Forrest Park, I thought, let's go to the Children's Museum. We haven't been there in months so the girls were crazy excited!



At the new exhibit: cars & guitars



Completely blurry but you can see how happy she is to dance around in her 70s outfit





This was BY FAR their favorite exhibit: karaoke. The girls didn't care what song they should be singing but just started singing the Black Eyed Peas song that I posted about last week. They were singing their hearts out!



We have been through the Barbie exhibit many times but I never realized that if you text Barbie (who knew she had a cell phone?) she will call your cell phone back. I did this and Barbie called within 1 minute. Ella was so confused.













Although we had visited the Planetarium a few times, I didn't know about the Children's Lilly Theater (how could I have not known about this? oh yeah, because I usually have three kids with me and I can't imagine Matthew sitting through a show). Well, we got tickets to see Winnie the Pooh. After many questions about whether or not the characters were real, the girls sat and enjoyed the 40 minute show. It was rather cute but after it was over, we were all exhausted and ready to go home.





Thanks for a fun time, girls!

So what do they get when they complete the whole chart? They both want pillow pets, which their Nana Dean has graciously offered to buy them once we hit that point. It is probably a month or so off, but they girls are really doing a great job of staying in bed until 7 AM! Yay!

4 comments:

Le, Elizabeth, Ryker and Lulu said...

I LOVE that last picture of you and the girls! So cute!
So glad you guys had a good time!!
Elizabeth

IUgirl78 said...

I agree--love the picture! We love the Lilly Theatre...we always get front row seats since Joel works at Lilly. Juuussst kidding--they're first come, first served. But we like to think that we get those perks. You know, when we're sitting there, popping our Prozac...Ha!

That's so nice that you had a girls' day at the Children's Museum. I cannot wait to go check out the rock 'n roll exhibit! And I guess I'd better get texting before I text Barbie. Either that, or she'd better have 40 cents she can give me...

Way to go, girls!

IUgirl78 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Pigtail Mama said...

We haven't been to the CM in awhile, either. It looks like you had a fun time! I really hope for everyone's sake that they make 7 AM a permanent wake-up time. Anything before 7 is inhumane, esp. during the winter when it is dark! I always feel a little bad when Keith gets up at 5:30 to go to work. I remember those days. :) Hope that the girls keep up the good work!