Monday, July 12, 2010

Rocking down memory lane

*Thank you, Erin, for the inspiration for this post*

A piece of family memorabilia can instantly bring back memories. Whether it's artwork your great grandma gave you, a piece of china passed down through generations, a bracelet from your mom or something else special, the memories evoked can be very special.

We have a piece of furniture that makes us smile and think back to all of the times we have used it. From rocking the girls to sleep when they were sick or reading them book after book, not to mention all the hours I spent sitting there before Ella was born just thinking how blessed we were (and how quickly our lives would change), our rocking chair has been a very special item to our family.

As I was rocking Matthew recently I was touched just thinking of the babies rocked there: Ella, Laney, Matthew, my sister Cindy and myself. Yes, this was the rocking chair my parents kept and passed down to us for our children. Is it the most comfortable? No. Is it the style I would have picked out if we were to buy one? No. Do I absolutely love it and the memories it brings with it: Yes!

My parents had it repainted in fun, child like colors when I was pregnant with Ella, so it has matched every room it has been in. I am not sure what we will do with it once Matthew decides he doesn't want to be held anymore but I know that it will remain with us and the girls will have it someday to rock their babies to sleep.

Do you have any items that evoke such happy memories? Would love to hear about them.....


3 comments:

KAY POPE said...

What a sweet blog entry. It almost made me cry! It really is special to pass something down through the generations, and this chair will probably always be useful to someone in our family. Leslie, keep rocking that precious little Matthew for as long as he allows!

Pigtail Mama said...

I love this post! It is so neat to have something so precious. I love the little poem that is on the chair. How special!

The girls' nursery is filled with books, trinkets, and even two outfits that have belonged to me, my mom, my grandma, my grandpa, and even my great-grandpa. I love having things with a history fill the room! :)

IUgirl78 said...

I remember seeing that chair in Matthew's room and thinking about how special it is to have been used for you and Cindy and then your kids. I also love that your parents had it repainted and put the little poem on it. Can't wait to see what you'll add to it for your grandkids!!