Sunday, October 10, 2010

We love you, Windsor

Although I didn't want to write a blog post about our beloved Winds-man, I knew I wanted to get pictures of him with the kids into our final blog book. So it was best to make a post about him.

Jason & I adopted Windsor 8 years ago (about 3 weeks after buying our house) after seeing him at PetSmart. We knew we wanted a dog but weren't sure of the breed as I wanted a lap dog and Jason wanted a Frisbee dog (for the record, Jason and Windsor played frisbee like once or twice). Jason saw a picture of Windsor online and noticed that he was going to be at PetSmart through the adoption agency ARPO (Alliance for Responsible Pet Ownership). We saw him and instantly fell in love with this puppy (he was about 9 months old at the time). But since he was already bigger than a lap dog I was slightly disappointed I wouldn't get my cuddly dog. Well, wouldn't you know it, he jumped into a lady's lap right as we were talking about how we wanted a lap dog. Yeah, I think he knew that he was coming home with us.

Before kids, Windsor was our kid. We took him to dog festivals, dog parks, long walks, the dog bakery to celebrate his birthday. He was our baby. Once we had kids, Windsor easily settled into his role as just the family pet (not the king of the hill anymore). He let the kids jump on him, pull his ears, dress him up, hug him, etc. He was such a good sport about it all!

Windsor tended to be in the background of almost all pics I tried to take. He loved being around the kids so it's funny to look back at the pictures and see how many pictures he made his way into. I took a ton of pictures the last morning we had him. But just as I downloaded so many cute shots of him with the kids, I hit the delete button. Darn it! Luckily I have a ton from the past but seriously, me and technology don't mix sometimes.

We miss him so much! He was such a fun, easy tempered, lovable dog and we will always cherish our memories with him.

Here are some of my favorite pictures of the Windsman:



Laney playing the piano and Windsor singing along.
Winter 2007



Going on a walk with Ella
Summer 2008



Laney tugging on Windsor
Summer 2007



Ella and Windsor
December 2006



Now baby Ella and Windsor
April 2005



He loved the snow.
January 2010



Playing dress up with Windsor
2008



He especially loved catching the snowballs.
With Ella: 2009



Windsor was always wherever the kids were.
He loved the action the kids provided.
Summer 2010



Playing with Matthew.
He really did let the kids roll over top of him.
October 2010





~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Grieve not, or speak of me with tears,
But laugh and talk of me as if I were
Beside you, I loved you so...... Twas heaven here with you.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

7 comments:

Layla and Delia said...

I'm sorry for your loss. Windsor was definitely a part of your family - I loved seeing the photos of him with your kids thru the years. :) Pets are amazing, amazing creatures. ((hugs))

Pigtail Mama said...

What a beautiful post, Leslie. It's amazing how pets just tug at our heartstrings, esp. when they have been a part of the family for so long. I love all of the pictures of him with the kids. He looked so gentle and loving with them!

I know it doesn't make it easier that you also lost your grandma recently. When we lost my dad's dad 9 years ago our cat died a week later. It made it so much worse. I will be thinking of you and hope you remember the good times with Windsor. I'm glad you posted this- he was definitely a special dog!

Stephanie said...

Sad. I got tears in my eyes reading it. So sorry for you guys, we have been there and it stinks!

KAY POPE said...

Such wonderful poignant memories and photos. I will truly miss his enthusiasm when he knew I had a treat for him. Such a good gentle dog - he will surely be missed. But what a wonderful family he ended up with - all of you are the better for his time with you. I can picture him up in heaven romping with our little Pebbles and maybe having my mom and dad toss them a treat or two. Earthly bodies go but sweet memories will always linger. Godspeed, Winds-man.

Braun Bunch said...

I am sorry you had to go through that. :( We had to go through a similar siutation with our female dog when Beau was a baby--I know it is so difficult. I wish you peace and hope that each day gets easier. Thanks for sharing the pictures!

hphaynes said...

These photos are such tear jerkers! What a sweet and gentle dog you had! I'm sure he loved being in your family as much as you loved him. It's amazing to me to see how calm and kind he was with the kids. I think he'll probably always be watching out for them.

IUgirl78 said...

I'm so sorry for your loss! I know you all loved him very much. I loved seeing all of the photos of Windsor with the kids. He definitely was so good with the kids...you were blessed to have him as part of your family!