Monday, August 3, 2009

Ella's Tonsillectomy and Adenoidectomy



Today was it. The day I have been dreading since the end of May when the ENT recommended we remove her tonsils and adenoids. But first, let me back up.

Ella has had speech difficulties for years and has been in First Steps since the age of 2. Her hearing has been checked and she has worked with multiple speech therapists, and although she talks a ton (often she talks too much for my liking) it can be hard to understand her. She is very patient and her friends are great at translating or at least saying "I am sorry Ella. I don't understand you." Her patience amazes me!

When we went to her 4 year old appointment, the pediatrician noticed that her tonsils were huge and given her speech delays and possible sleep apnea, we thought an ENT consult was the best route. Ella has always generally been a tired kid which had concerned me a few years ago but never really thought it would be any huge deal in the long run. After lots of research there are many studies that show enlarged tonsils can cause not only sleep apnea, infections and hearing issues, but also speech delays. Huh, right? Also, for those that spend a lot of time with Ella notice that she sucks on her tongue a lot. Once again, never thought anything of it! According to the ENT, this sucking on her tongue is a trigger from the brain to help her jut her bottom jaw out so there is more room in her airway to breathe. I never would have guessed this cute baby girl action of sucking on her tongue was actually a coping mechanism to help her breathe!! The visit to the ENT was interesting, to say the least.

Back to present time. We told Ella about her surgery on the Saturday before her surgery. I was not sure how she would react but she was completely fine with it. I don't even think she heard the explanation of what was going to happen because she just focused on the words "you will get lots of Popsicles, pudding, jello, etc." :) Whatever works, right?

Today, we showed up at Riverview's Surgery Center at 6:30 am for a 7:30 am surgery. Ella is such a strong girl; she showed no signs of being scared. After being admitted to an outpatient room, the anesthesiologist, Dr. Bates, was in. Dr. Bates told Ella what to expect and that Ella could choose one of two ways to be sedated (the mask or through an IV). After smelling the mask, which smelled like bubble gum, she chose that way.

Her next visitor was her ENT, Dr. Dugan. Dr. Dugan told her about the recovery and also what to expect during surgery. Ella was still not scared, listened intently and just took it all in.

At 7:30am, Ella's chariot took her to surgery. Her chariot was a bright, red wagon which the nurse put a pillow and blanket in to make Ella's chariot comfortable. Ella put her stuffed animal in and they rode away in style. About 45 minutes later, she was back and sleeping in a comfy hospital bed. Dr. Bates said that Ella did great during the surgery, sat on the side of the bed and did the anesthetic mask like such a big girl. She also mentioned that all the nurses in the OR fell in love with her big girl hair cut, long eye lashes and reddish hair (that's a way to a mom's heart...compliment her child) :) Dr. Dugan said she did have very large tonsils and adenoids and getting them removed would really help the speech therapists work with Ella's speech.

When she woke up, we offered Ella a Popsicle but she wanted a grilled cheese. Her nurse, Karen, ordered her a full liquid lunch tray as she wanted Ella to start easy. Her favorite items on the tray were the Popsicle and juice (opted out of the ice cream and pudding).

Right now, she is sitting next to me enjoying her orange popsicle and watching Pinky Dinky.

Thanks to all the calls and texts checking on her, and a big thank you to Reese and Ryan for the Welcome Home sign. Ella had a huge smile on her face when she saw that wonderfully decorated sign!!!!

4 comments:

IUgirl78 said...

Yay! I'm so glad she did so well before, during, and after the surgery! She is a real trooper, that's for sure. I'm also happy that Reese and Ryan's sign brought a smile to her face. She is always so good about doing crafts for them, I think they were happy to return the favor. :)

Give her a big hug from us!

Layla and Delia said...

What great friends Ella has to make such a colorful and welcoming sign!!!

Ella is such a big and brave girl! We're proud of you, chica. :)

braun brothers said...

What a trooper!! :) I hope Ella is feeling good--I have been thinking about her (and you!)

Great sign!!! Those Worthingtons sure are sweeties ;)

Pigtail Mama said...

Yay! I'm so glad that everything went so well. I know that is so unnerving having your "baby" operated on! It amazes me all that you posted about her coping mechanisms. Wow! I am sure you will see great results from this. Now, more popsicles for Miss Ella, please! :)