Monday, July 27, 2009

Run, Cindy, Run!

This past weekend we went to Cincinnati to cheer on my sister, Cindy, in one of her many triathlons. Yes, that's right...a triathlon! To say that I am in awe of my big sister is a huge understatement. I find a 20 minute workout on the elliptical enough to wear me out and here Cindy is competing in an activity that consists of an open water swim, run and bike. Wow! Cindy has done a few triathlons in the past but this was the first one my family and I got to participate in (cheering, that's participating, right?).

The event consisted of a 1 mile swim, 24 mile bike, and 6 mile run. We were able to walk along much of the course and were able to cheer her on during the run part. Only 15 women completed the Olympic Triathlon, and Cindy completed the course in a time of 3 hours 19 minutes 52 seconds. I was so proud of Cindy and of course ridiculously impressed with the dedication it takes to train and compete in such an event.

The weather was just perfect and the scenery along the Ohio River was beautiful so I figured I would try and practice some different shots with my camera. I got a little camera happy but couldn't resist using Ella as my subject.






One of the many bridges over the Ohio River.



Mom, Dad and Ella waiting for Cindy to run on by.



Cindy pointing to the finish line, although at this point in the run
it was a ways away :)



While waiting for Cindy, a barge went by
and honked the horn for Ella :)



Running along the Ohio River



The first lap of the run and still in great spirits.
Cindy gave her fans what they wanted: a picture!
Do you always look this happy when running, Cindy?



Cindy being cheered on by Dad and Ella



The second lap of the run.
This time she couldn't stop for poses.
I know personally, if I ever stopped running
I would never start again!



Mom, Ella and Dad at mile #2 of the run.
See Cindy in the background?



The final destination



Crossing the finish line!!!!
It was fun to hear her name announced over the loud speaker:
Cindy Pope, Farmington, CT!



Aunt Holly, Grandma, Cindy and Aunt Nancy
Holly was in from TX and Nancy was in from NC
to cheer Cindy on!



Yay for # 610!!!!



Cindy and Dad
We were all so proud of Cindy!



Although we weren't able to rent one of these cool bikes,
Nancy, Ella and I wanted to pretend.













I think Auntie Cindy would like to rest in this swing!



Matthew and Laney stayed with Jason at the Willetts
while Ella and I were downtown.
Give this girl some food and you are definitely getting a smile :)

3 comments:

IUgirl78 said...

Man, I'm so impressed! She did such a great job. I'm sure if I had participated, I'd still be in the Ohio River. :) I bet she loved having her family there to cheer her on.

The pictures of Ella along the river are super cute. Great backgrounds and a beautiful subject--what more can you ask for? :)

braun brothers said...

Wow--way to go, Cindy! Incredibly impressive! I am so missing that triathalon/marathon/ workoutathon gene...

Yes, I LOVE the pics of Ella along the river! Great job! Share your secrets! ;)

Pigtail Mama said...

That is really awesome! I know Cincy isn't the easiest place to run, either, with all of those hills. How nice of you all to cheer her on!

The pictures of the kids are SOOOO cute, as always. You have the cutest subjects!