Monday, January 26, 2009

A generous girl


Ella has shown a beautiful, generous side to her lately. Seeing this generosity is such a great reinforcement to us as parents that "maybe" we are doing something right when it comes to teaching compassion and thoughtfulness.

Every time we go on a play date (and I mean every time), Ella packs up one of the crafts she has made and gives it to the friend she is going to play with. Last week, we played with Carly, Jack, Reese and Ryan. Ella packed up a 4 brown lunch bags and filled them with little crafts she had made (finger painting, pieces of paper with drawings on them, cotton balls glued to paper, etc). Carly and Reese even got a piece of chalk (sorry about that Jen and Kristy...I hope that didn't become a weapon of mass destruction later in the day). But regardless of what is in the bag, I love that she is showing her friends appreciation.

Ella's friends love getting the gifts, they say thank you and are genuinely excited to open the brown paper bags! Seeing her friends so happy makes all of Ella's planning and hard work pay off.


As I am typing this we are getting ready to go to a playdate. So yes, she is packing up 2 bags (one for each of the kids) and is giving each of them a piece of artwork, which includes a finger painting project and a stamp project.

On the right is Ryan's birthday gift which Ella was so excited to decorate.

I am so proud of you, Ella, for your generosity and love of life!

7 comments:

Pigtail Mama said...

Leslie, what a sweet, sweet daughter you have! Although I don't know Ella all that well yet, I can definitely tell that she is a wonderful little girl with a kind heart. Of course this speaks of the amazing parents that she has as role models! A very nice post for a very nice girl. :)

five dot design said...

that little girl is something else! i'm going to email you in a bit- i had an idea for some small cards for the girls...

IUgirl78 said...

It is seriously the cutest thing ever to see Ella get so excited about giving her crafts to her friends. Most kids hate to part with their precious creations, so that says a lot about Ella that she would rather give than receive. Obviously she has learned from her parents, who are two of the most caring, generous, and thoughtful people I know.

We just adore her!

Emily said...

That is just wonderful, Leslie. I can't imagine you guys ever feeling like your girls wouldn't learn generosity or care with having you two as parents! They are so lucky to have such great examples of Christianity and love.

Anonymous said...

That is so sweet! :) What a great post.

Alina Klein said...

Oh, what a great idea! Did she come up with that herself? I love that!

Doesn't love a wall said...

What a great idea! That's so sweet