Friday, August 29, 2008

Preschool Days

Today was the open house for Ella's preschool, Country Children's House Montessori School (aka, the Blue School). I looked at a few preschools last year and felt the most comfortable here. We have known a few kids that have gone here and along with their parent's recommendations, we signed her up for this coming year. And did I mention it is ~3 minutes away? She will have two years at Country Children's House before graduating to kindergarten and will attend Thursday and Friday mornings.

We decided on a Montessori school for many reasons but my favorite being the small class size. I also like that there are children ages 3-5 in her class, as opposed to just 3 year olds. Ella tends to do more talking when there are older kids around. All teachers are Montessori Certified with 7 teachers in the school. There are 4 main classrooms for the preschool classes (Math & Sensorial, Science & Geography, Music & Art, Language Arts & Practical Life) and then upstairs is the kindergarten. I can't wait to see what the Practical Life skills include (possibly cooking, cleaning baseboards, windows washing?). Hopeful Mom :)

Ella was very overwhelmed and preferred to hold on to my leg. She started to warm up at the end by playing a game or two, but still wanted to go bye bye. The teachers were very understanding, and I expect it to be a great year for Ella!

The school was originally a farm house that was built in the 1850s.
It has such beautiful character!
In fact, I was telling Jason I would like to live here.

Ready to go, Mom!

The math room with Miss Linda.

Meeting Miss Amber in the Language Arts & Practical Life room.
Ella was very unsure about the whole school thing but
I know will warm up quickly.

Yeah, she will warm up whenever there are puzzles/games around.

They had a picture wall of all the childrens' pictures.
Notice how Ella's picture is above the fire alarm.
Coincidence or a warning of things to come :)

As my friend said the decor is Pottery Barn Kids meets preschool.
Sounds like a good mix to me :)
This is upstairs in one of the kindergarten classes.

Ella checking out some of the other kids walking to the school.

We signed Ella up for Lunch Bunch on Fridays.
It allows the children to eat lunch together
and use their table manners (or lack there of).
I like it not only for the social interaction but instead
of just going till 11:30am like Thursdays,
with lunch bunch, Ella gets to stay at school until 1 pm.

Ella's name tags.

We did it! Jason and I had a great time taking Ella to her preschool.
It will be such a fun time and a beginning of wonderful things to come.
Since we are on vacation next week, Ella will start school the week after.

10 comments:

Stephanie said...

Wow! I am impressed by the school and I love that it was an old farmhouse. Let us know how it goes. I will be on the hunt for a pre-school soon too!

Anonymous said...

What a neat preschool!

:)
Andrea Chimo

IUgirl78 said...

Sooo cool!!! That is such a cute little old farmhouse. And the rooms inside look so bright and cheerful. I love it!!! I bet Ella will love going there. How many days will she be going? I'm sure you posted it--I'm just spacey.

Great job, Jason, on taking such great pictures!

starfitch said...

I love driving by there...I'm sure she'll love it!

La Belle Vie said...

Looks like a neat place! I know Ella will have a great time there just by the pictures...what kid wouldn't???

Anonymous said...

So, I gotta ask...where was J in the pictures?

IUgirl78 said...

Leslie, Ryan thanks Ella and Laney for the AWESOME Superheroes sippy cups!!! And both kids were happy to get the pictures from both girls. I think Reese already framed hers from Laney Leigh. :)

Pigtail Mama said...

What a cute preschool! Where is it? I don't think I've seen it before. How nice to have Ella in a preschool that is not only close, but that offers so many great things! I will be anxious to hear all about her year at school! :)

Aunt H said...

What a neat school! I love old farmhouses...I would love to live in one someday, but there are only about 14 left in Indiana, so that might be a bit tough.

Ella looks so excited in the pictures! I can't wait to hear how she likes it.

Anonymous said...

That looks so awesome, Leslie! I can't wait to hear more about it. :)