Today was just a typical, busy day around here. When I started working two days/week I never realized how busy those other three days/week would be. I mean, when do I get to go to the gym (that was just a joke, kind of)?
We actually did go to the gym today. Both of my girls love different environments where there are toys galore. Both said bye bye and away I went.
After the gym, Ella had speech class. Ella started in First Steps (the Indiana Government funded program for those children developmentally delayed) when she was two years old. I never thought she was behind in her language until the doctor said at two years she should be putting two words together and saying at least 50 words. At that time, she was saying about 20 words and was defintely not putting two words together. After an evaluation from First Steps and various Speech Therapists, she was diagnosed with delayed speech (ok, something more technical than that, but you get the idea). We had her hearing tested and everything came back great.
Fast forward a full year. After having a speech therapist, Jill, for the past year, Ella is definitely speaking all the time. Her personality is one of being a little shy at first but then warms up quickly. She talks a lot but her articulation is still lacking. At three years old, Ella graduated from First Steps and went into the school system for speech. She went one time a week for 30 minute sessions with her teacher, Miss Tina. There were about 5 sessions before school was out for the summer.
The session she attended today was at a nearby elementary school and it's called articulation camp (can you believe it? that there is such a thing?). There are classes every 30 minutes with our class being 11-11:30. There was a 4 year old boy in her class who suffers from the same articulation issue. After class, Ella ran back to get me and "baby" (will Laney ever have a name?) and had a -armonica. The teacher, Miss Colleen, said that Ella learned a new word...TUBA! It was great to hear a new, clear word. Ella says new words all the time but they usually aren't that distinct. This sure was...yeah for Ella. Who would of thought a mom could be so proud of such a simple word!
2 comments:
Hooray for Miss Ella!!! (Sidenote: I have to say that when I first started reading this post, I thought TUBA was a code word of some sort for "typical, busy day." Now I get it!)
That is such a great accomplishment! I would be having her say that word over and over. So cool!!!
Yay for Ella! It is so rewarding when they accomplish something new that they have really been working hard on! And I love the tuba...who doesn't? OOmpah, oompah.
Post a Comment