Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Willett Family Chore Chart

This chore chart is long over due! Ella is very motivated by charts and one that involves money? She is all in!

As I was reorganizing the basement I came across some foam board and was motivated to start the project. In all honesty, it was me that has put this on the back burner. The thought of coming up with one that works for our family seems daunting. I asked a lot of friends what they do with their families and came across a good one from my friend, Melissa. Although we tailored the money a bit to fit our family, her conversation and ideas gave me a game plan.

So I had the poster board, printed out checks and x's (which I must have been thinking they would do better than they would because by the end of day 3 I had run out of the x's (I know there is no ' there but xs just looks weird..please forgive me teachers...lol). And I love being able to use the hot glue gun!!!

The girls each helped with their own chores and after much discussion came up with the idea that a check is worth $.10 and an x nothing. There are instances which can blow the whole day (fits, whining uncontrollably, etc) and in fact, there are have been some fits that have blown the whole week. Seriously! How can money not motivate you to be good.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Ella's chores:  Clothes are put away in the hamper or down the laundry shoot, crafts and toys picked up, make bed, dishes in the sink.

Laney's chores: Clothes are put away in the hamper or down the laundry shoot, crafts and toys picked up, dishes in the sink.

Matthew's chores: Pick up trains, don't hit (true, don't hit isn't a chore but we thought this would be a fun twist. For the record, he gets an x every day on the don't hit chore).




We then collect the money at the end of the week and record it in a notebook before it is put in the piggy bank. This is another pet peeve of mine...that the girls love to take their money out and count it but alas, it always ends up somewhere else other than their piggy bank (like the floor, the bathroom, my room, etc). So now it has to be recorded anytime money is put in the bank or when it is taken out.

We have all enjoyed the chart and it is leading to a much happier mom (as opposed to the mom who is always saying, "I can't keep this house clean by myself").

1 comment:

KAY POPE said...

Such a good idea but it sure takes time and effort to start it up and keep it going especially since the money keeps on a-moving and specific chores have to keep up with ability and time You have done a great job!