This year I thought it would be fun to have a separate Advent Calendar from the nativity one we enjoy. So we had 2 Advent Calendars. This one had a Christmas related activity in it for each day. Some activities the kids were so excited about (going to see the trains, invite a friend over to make ornaments, go to breakfast with Santa) while others were met will a lack of enthusiasm (call a friend and sing a Christmas Carol and have a Christmas music dance party). They all can't be winners plus I needed a few filler activities on those school days when it was hard to go somewhere :)
Make a gingerbread house
Ringing the Salvation Army bell with Nana and Grandpa
My mom's friend from high school got a kick out of the girls.
Going caroling with the 1st grade and 3rd grade Daisy/Girl Scout Troops
The craft they made at Daisies
Going to the live nativity
For the record, when I was growing up this was way cool but now there are only 2 sheep and plastic figurines so it is just not great. Matthew enjoyed it for about 30 seconds and said, "All done."
Other things we had on our Advent Calendar: Make cookies, go to lighting of the TP Christmas tree, wrap presents, go to Cookies with Santa, Trains downtown, Breakfast with Santa, make ornaments. It was a fun idea and although no promises, hopefully we will do it again next year. In true Willett girl fashion, a few times they did not get to do their fun activity because of fits or back talking; both of these areas seem to be getting worse instead of better. But all in all it was a huge success and a fun activity for all!
3 comments:
Such a good idea to add that element of surprise to the holiday season.
You did so well with your Advent calendar! I failed this year. We did some things, but then some days I'd totally change the activity to "read a Christmas book" or something easy. Ha!
It looks like you have lots of fun activities to do in Cincinnati, and I'm sure it was fun checking it all out. Good job, mama!
I had to laugh because to me, "Live Nativity" means living people and animals. I thought those people looked a little stiff--then I realized they were mannequins! Haha!!
I love the idea of doing an Advent calendar. We've done an Advent jar where the kids pull activities out of it, but I would like to get something a little nicer next year. Great job!
Post a Comment