Wednesday, January 6, 2010

A fun work project for me

I rarely ever talk about work on my blog (ok, NEVER) as I figure work is work and really not that exciting. But for those interested, I teach patients who just had surgery, have congestive heart failure, suffered a heart attack or really anybody with heart issues, how to eat better and make lifestyle changes. I truly enjoy my job (and most importantly my coworkers) but on a day to day basis I don't feel like I make a huge difference. Sure I run into maybe 2 out of 10 patients who really want to make changes and inspire me to educate them, but for the most part I think the patients are just like "lady, be quiet so I can go home and have my fried chicken." Boy, I wish I was joking about that!

A few weeks ago our marketing department asked me to be one of the dietitians involved in the Go Red for Woman annual event. I have had some involvement in the past with this event but this year, there was a new challenge! Five Indiana women who are ready to improve their health were selected to participate in the Go Red Better U Heart Healthy Makeover Challenge presented by St.Vincent Heart Center of Indiana. Myself, along with another dietitian at work, were asked to counsel these 5 women in nutrition. Along with us, the women also got to see (free!) a cardiologist, personal trainer w/ free gym membership, facial treatments and an open forum to discuss their challenges along the way.

This group of 5 women are as diverse as they come (young vs old, smoker vs. nonsmoker, worked out when younger vs. never worked out). The different backgrounds, different stages in life, and different stress levels of the ladies have led to this being a fun challenge for myself and my fellow dietitian. Boy do I miss seeing outpatients! Outpatients are in a stage of life where they are ready to learn and soak up information where as those in the hospital just want to get out of the hospital, feeling better. Nutrition is not seen as that important (little do they know if they don't eat right, they are right back IN the hospital).

I met with two of the ladies in December of 2009. They have started a blog to keep themselves accountable and document what has been challenging. I encourage you to cheer them on with me! I applaud anybody making positive changes in their lives and these five ladies are doing it!

The Go Red for Women luncheon in February is their big reveal. I can't wait to see these ladies and see who was able to reach their goal, and who is on their way to making lifestyle changes. I love being a dietitian when you see people who want to learn, want to change, want to be motivated and want YOU to help them. These patients inspire me :)

http://indygoredbetteru.blogspot.com/

--link is also located on the left tool bar

5 comments:

IUgirl78 said...

Leslie, that's so awesome that you had the opportunity to work with those ladies! I never thought about it before, but you're probably right about the in vs. outpatients and who is more motivated to want to eat better. I think that would be so interesting to help educate these ladies and help them achieve their goals. I will definitely check out the blog and cheer them on!

The Carrels said...

How COOL!

KAY POPE said...

I am so delighted that both of my girls deal in such educationally important endeavors. Proud of ya!

Love,
Mom

Pigtail Mama said...

That's great, Leslie! It sounds like a really neat opportunity, and how fun to see their progress next month. Sorry that your patients don't listen to you. I'm sure that is frustrating. I guess that's just part of the job, though. Good for you for trying your best, though! I'm sure you do a great job. Let us know how this project goes! :)

braun brothers said...

Wonderful, Leslie! :)

Now can you make me a diet? ;)