Today was the perfect day to attend the Indiana State Fair. Usually it is way too hot to go to the fair but this year we decided the girls are at a good age to enjoy it. For those who don't know, we live right on the train tracks. This train is a historical train and runs only a few times a year (the fair being one of them). It doesn't affect us during fair time because it starts south of where we live but the girls still hear the whistle. Ella has been begging to ride the "choo-choo" for the past 6 months. I have always joked that I would never support the train since it's in my backyard but I really did want to take Ella on the train. So Jason and Laney drove down to the fair and Ella and I took the train; a 30 minute, bumpy long train ride. But Ella loved it!
The fair was such a new experience for us. We haven't been in years but definetely not since having kids. I thought Ella would be able to go on a few rides, but would need us to accompany her. That was not the case at all. There were many rides that she could go on alone and actually some that she did not want us to go on saying "I'm a big girl. I do myself." She enjoyed the 3 roller coasters for the kids, driving cars, watching Jason win her 2 stuffed animals and going in this house thing where the floors moved up and down and some floors would spin in circles. I was amazed at how adventurous she was. I always thought she was like me when it came to adventurous things--very cautious. Not today! She wanted to do it all! I love when our kids surprise us like that.
So where is Laney in these pics? Well, we got to the fair, took pics on the first ride and then the camera battery died. Boo hoo! Laney enjoyed herself by being pushed in the stroller, which worked out rather well for us. Watching 2 kids run around might have been tough in such a crowded area. Laney shared a Funnel Cake with me and ate a full cheeseburger and fries (no surprise, right?). The fair showed me how much fun the simple things can be (winning a $1 stuffed animal for a 3 year old) and how ridiculous food can be (fried anything--sauerkraut, snicker bars, oreo cookies, vegetables--yes, fried cauliflower). I am happy to say that I was eating a Funnel Cake across the way from The Heart Center of Indiana's tent where they were doing heart screenings. Jason and I were joking that we were sure the RNs loved seeing their dietitian sitting in the corner eating a funnel cake. All in moderation right?
3 comments:
What an awesome day to go! We are planning on taking the train to the fair on Sunday, but there will be NO riding rides for me. :) Maybe the train will be bumpy enough it will send me into labor?
Yay! How fun! I haven't been to the fair since I was a kid, but I would really like to get there this year. You've motivated me. :)
It looks like you had a great time. The rides look fun, and I can tell Ella had a great time on the train! I love hearing about all of the crazy fried food they have- only in Indiana, right? Glad you had a great time!
Yumm....I wanted a funnel cake SO badly (I went Saturday), but it was a tad hot out by then. So I settled for ice cream. We both walked off our treats, I am sure. :-)
I'm glad you all had a good time! Laney's my girl - girl can eat!
Post a Comment