Thursday, November 11, 2010

Matthew's baptism



This past Sunday was a very special day for our little man. Matthew was baptized! We were surrounded by lots of family (!!) offering support and love for Matthew. The service was beautiful and all three children did great. At our church, the kids do their own children's ministry while the adults worship but in the Episcopal Church, the children typically sit with the adults. There is a nursery for those 4 and under but since Matthew was being baptized we figured he should be with us and Laney said she wanted to be with Matthew.

A funny moment during the service was when the Reverend said, "We will now present the candidates for baptism." Matthew then responded with a loud "uh-oh." It was hysterical and those around us started cracking up.

What was really nice is the Reverend let the girls participate in Matthew's baptism. Laney held the towel to dry Matthew's head off and Ella held the oil that was dabbed on Matthew's forehead. It was so precious! I was given the baptism candle and once I blew it out, I let Ella hold it. Of course in front of the church, Laney started to pout as she wanted to hold it. Being the big girl Ella is, she put the candle in Laney's hand to hold. I guess being that close to the big cross made a good impression.



The more I look at this picture, the funnier I think it is.
My uncle Fred is behind the candle, you can't see Aunt Holly in the back, Laney is on the stool as if she got baptized. Oh well. We sure had a great group though :)



The girl cousins



My parents had a very nice reception for all of us after the baptism. My parents were great sports as we walked everyone around the house, pointing out what colors we are going to paint, what walls we are knocking down, what carpet we are getting rid of. Thanks for the reception and for being such great sports, Mom & Dad!

My Aunt Holly from TX was in town, and I was so glad she could join us for the special day



Congratulations, Matthew!
We love you!
You are definitely our gift from God and you make our family complete!

3 comments:

Pigtail Mama said...

Aw, happy baptism Matthew!

IUgirl78 said...

It sounds like it was a very nice baptism. That just cracks me up how he said, "Uh-oh!" at such an appropriate time! :) I am also very impressed that Ella gave Laney the candle when she wanted it. My kids would've started wrestling in front of everyone...

Too funny about your tour of your parents' house. You'll have to post pics sometime!

Kristi said...

Congratulations to Matthew! Tyler was baptized this weekend too and did great :) Hope we can get these two boys together one of these days, and you guys are in our prayers with the big move! Love, Kristi