This morning we all went to see the doctor for Matthew's 6 month appointment, Laney's 3 year appointment and some dry skin on Ella's hands. Thank goodness Jason came with me as we were there 1 1/2 hours!
Matthew: He is 15# 13 oz. Ugg. I was really hoping that he would be like 17# but I knew that he was smaller than some of the other babies we hang out with. He is the 20th percentile for his weight and 80th percentile for his height. He hates puree foods but "might" take oatmeal every now and then. He continues to gag on peaches, squash and potatoes. The doc said to keep trying slowly but that some babies never really take them well until 9 months or even a year. Matthew's pink eye is gone but still has an ear infection. So he remains on antibiotics for that. Matthew is now sitting up about 10-15 seconds on his own and rolls both directions. According to the doc going both directions is ahead of the chart but could also be causing him to burn more calories and not gain as much. Matthew is also getting up on all 4s and trying to crawl. We discussed supplementing with formula as formula has more calories than breastmilk (didn't know that although I did notice it was thicker) but we decided that I will keep feeding him breastmilk and continue trying solids. Jason and I are going to give him one bottle of formula at night and see if that helps. My girls were big babies so I was a little uneasy about him being 20th percentile. He still sounds congested so maybe that has something to do with him not taking solids as well. The doctor did bring out Laney's baby chart to show me that she had a big drop at 12 months in her weight and then the next visit was back up so I should not worry. But as a mom, we worry right?
Laney: She is 33# (60th percentile) and 80th percentile for height. After talking with her, the doctor said he is very impressed with her verbal skills, overall knowledge of shapes/colors and how advantaced she is in her motor skills. I had some inkling that she was advanced in her motor skills as she was riding her bike and trike during Ella's birthday in April (Laney was 2 years, 4 more) and he said trike riding is a goal for 3 years of age. Kinda makes me laugh since Laney was our late walker (16 months...she was SO big I thought she would never be able to move those huge thighs) and she was in physical therapy for about 6 months or so. Now look at her! Continues to have a slight heart murmur but of no concern.
Although we try not to compare our kids it's tough not to. Sure Matthew is much smaller than the girls (3 # less at this stage than Laney was) but he rolls both ways, sits up and is on all 4s before they girls did. Regardless of these things, they are all perfect and growing big and strong.
2 comments:
It's so true--you try not to compare the kids, but it's hard not to wonder where the other kids were at those ages/stages and what they were doing. I'm glad everyone is healthy--minus the ear infection. Boo on that one. That's interesting that Matthew gags on his food. Ryan did the same, but I think his was a little later. And probably because I was feeding him stuff that was making his throat swell up. Who knew? :) Glad all is well!
No worries! You are doing an excellent job. :) Our kiddos will grow just like they are supposed to. I know what you mean about the comparing, though. Even though I try so hard not to, I do the same thing. It is extra hard when my boys are exactly two years apart so I am like, well two years ago, Beau was blah blah blah...
Post a Comment